As an inclusive makeup artist, it’s my job and passion to make my clients feel radiant, powerful, and worthy. Throughout the years I’ve focused on finding products that help me provide services to all skin tones. Sometimes, it was hard to find the right products due to the lack of available options; but I am thrilled to say that… things are changing!
Makeup companies in the last few years have begun working on becoming inclusive and providing all skin tones a number of options:
- Make Up For Ever – A favorite brand for many years has been Make up For Ever. They offer a wide selection of products for darker skin tones.
- Fenty – Another new favorite is Fenty. Their tagline is “beauty for all” and it shows! I loooove the variety of shades to choose from and how they keep undertones in mind!
- Ocre Cosmetics – Another newbie on the scene is a brand called Orce Cosmetics, which was created especially for the Asian woman in mind. Their luxurious foundation even contains a serum that helps to control shine.
Generally speaking, I would say that POC tend to have combination or oily skin, which is why choosing products that are waterproof or long lasting typically work best. Here are a few others that make my “greatest hits” list of skincare (and tips on how to use them!)
Best of Inclusive Skincare
When it comes to skincare, I believe a routine should be based on the individual’s type of skin and the issues they’re wanting to address. One general product that is made for everyone…is really made for no one! The same concept applies to what I mentioned about makeup tips in my previous article on Celebrating All Skin Tones. Read on for more, and let me know in the comments if you’ve tried any of these and what you think!
Seabuckthorn oil from Living Libation helps cleanse the skin as well as removes impurities and is one of my all-time favorites. I use it with a cotton round or face cloth for removing excess shine without draining the skin of it’s natural oils.
Then I follow with my favorite alcohol-free toner to keep skin moisturized and prevent it from drying out. Cosmedix Mystic Toner and a trusty cotton round is amazing at removing leftover dirt, debris, and lingering makeup (which happens more often than you think!). I spray on the toner once more again, which adds more moisture and allows my eye cream and serum to be better absorbed.
When it comes to eye cream, I love the feel of Cosmedix Optic Crystals. The experience is smooth and magical – it honestly feels like putting unicorn blood on your eyelids. Better yet? A little goes a long way. For both eyes it only takes a grain of rice size to use.
Vitamin C is one of those must-have products for healthier, younger looking skin. This healthy ingredient is great for maintaining a brighter, fresher look with a youthful glow. My favorite is C Glow from Perfect Face Aesthetic Medicine.
And of course, you’ve got to have a good sunblock. The downside is that many can leave you with blemishes and breakouts. I recommend Elta MD’s UV Clear Broad Spectrum here which is made specifically for the face. It is also non comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog the pores … which means YOU are breakout free.
Finally, my take on moisturizer and night cream is that it really acts like a seal, allowing your serums and everything underneath to do their jobs. Think of it as like a silky, smooth lid on a container.
Other Inclusive Tips and Favorites
- Hyaluronic Acid – You’ve probably heard of this much talked about super ingredient. It lives up to the hype and is amazing at boosting moisture. Just think of adding a cup of water directly to your face…that’s hyaluronic acid for you! I love both the Trader Joe’s version, and Hyalu B5 Serum from La Roche-Posay, which is available at Target.
- Exfoliating – Sloughing off dead skin twice a week is ideal for a softer, smoother look and feel. In addition to encouraging skin cell turnover, it also helps reduce hyperpigmentation and scarring. Tacha’s Rice Polish Foaming Enzyme Powder is wonderful and gentle on the skin. You’ll see great results without being harsh on your face.
- Cleanser – In order to achieve the best makeup application you must start with a clean face to prep your canvas. (See above for my favorite cleansers). Then, apply your skincare products. Once that part of your regimen is complete, immediately start applying your makeup. Doing it in this way ensures your makeup looks its best!
I hope you found something for you in this product round-up! But most of all, I hope that you know how indispensable and beautiful you are! And that you deserve a beauty routine that is reflective of that. This is the respect that I bring to every client that I work with. If that is something that piques your interest, please feel free to get in touch with me!